Cal Now For A Free & Confidential Consultation 860-322-5302

What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Filing A UM/UIM Claim?

Generally speaking, you may want to put your insurance carrier on notice, if you determine at an early stage that the person at fault for the accident did not have coverage or did not have enough coverage. If you've done that, you've met the contract requirements and then, you are going to have two to three years to file a claim, depending upon when the underlying case is resolved with the at-fault liability carrier.

These are areas of law where it really helps to have an attorney involved. If you are trying to handle your own injury claim, even if it's clear liability, you could wind up really messing up your uninsured motorist claim, if it turns out that you need to rely on an additional layer of coverage. By the time you learn that you might have made a mistake, your insurance company may be in a position where they are now defending a claim and trying not to pay the benefits, even though you've paid the premium for years.

Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage In Connecticut?

Uninsured motorist coverage is required by statute in Connecticut. Any company that writes a policy automatically includes uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage as part of the policy benefit. They don't have a choice. The issue is whether you are carrying enough coverage. Often, we have a situation where someone is in a relatively serious accident and they are unable to work for a period of time. The person who caused the accident didn't have liability coverage.

You rely on the coverages that you bought because you were financially responsible enough to purchase insurance. If you only have a minimum policy, you are out of luck. Unless we can find another potentially liable party that has insurance, you are going to be capped by the amount of insurance coverage you purchased. In order to protect yourself before an accident happens, you should ask to have your policy coverages increased to a more appropriate level. If you are a homeowner and you have a job, you probably want at least $100,000 of coverage. It's really not much more expensive.

Click Below To Download The FAQs:

  1. Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Claims
  2. How Adjusters Reduce Your Settlement?
  3. 11 Factors That Affect The Value Of Your Personal Injury Case
  4. Critical Evaluation Factors For 17 Types Of Injury Cases

For more information on Statute Of Limitations For Filing A UM/UIM Claim, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (860) 322-5302 today.

Where We Serve

Statewide practice serving all counties throughout Connecticut and the following cities: Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, Danbury, New Britain, Bristol, Meriden, Milford, West Haven, Middletown, Norwich, Shelton, Torrington, New London, Ansonia, Derby, Groton and Winsted.